Thursday, September 8, 2016

Hanging onto Summer: How to Make Sun Tea

With 90 degree days in the forecast this week, the heatwave around these parts sure does put new meaning into "hanging onto summer." It's been a particularly hot season here in Virginia this year and hot summer days call for southern traditions, like sun-brewed tea.

Such a simple pleasure, sun tea is quick to make, requires minimal ingredients and puts the sun's rays to work instead of heating up the kitchen during hotter summer months.

Friday, September 2, 2016

Over on eHow: How to Clean & Season a Gas Grill

Hello, Labor Day weekend!

We're spending the long weekend at home, enjoying the extended break and have plans to fire up the grill for one last summer feast to bid the proverbial season adieu.

While "grilling season" is a year round event in our household, I'll certainly miss the accessibility of plucking fresh vegetables from our little urban garden to blister on the grill next to a simple cut of meat from the butcher.

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Sept-Etsy: Our Monthly Etsy Edit

It's no secret I spend the majority of my days deep in the depths of the Etsy marketplace uncovering emerging shops, hidden gems and new gift ideas to introduce across the site. That paired with our love of vintage and rescued junk drawer oddities oftentimes has us finding ourselves down one rabbit hole or another in admiration of all the creativity there is to be found on our very favorite site.

Every so often, it's fun to round up a few of our personal favorites — here's what we're digging this September!

1. 3-2-1 Blast Off... these miniature rocket kits are quick to put together and make for a nice portable activity or stocking stuffer for the little ones in your life.

2. These modern rustic wooden feather boxes would make a sweet addition to a bare wall space and are handmade using reclaimed pallets right here in good ole #RVA.

3. It's as if these sofa arm wraps were part of the original furniture, Genius!

4. While the Costco bear may have been all the rage this time last year, we are loving BigStuffed for her lovingly handmade oversized sea creatures. See how they come to life over on the @BigStuffed inspiring Instagram.

5. No more leaning over 2 pages of a coloring book when you can collaborate on one of these giant coloring posters from L'atelier Rue Tabaga.

6. These clever Eco Deer wall mounted hangers mimic the look of deer antlers and allow for plant decor that changes with the season or by your mood — yeah baby!

7. If money were no object, this oversized brass stunner would be hanging somewhere in our home! Tim's birthday is January 12th btw... ;)

8. Made from reclaimed wood in California, these little geometric air plant holders could brighten up any little corner or bedside.

9. One of my all-time favorites right now are these portable jewelry organizers handmade in Germany by AO Businessentials. They come in different color options, have a custom monogramming option and would so easy to toss into a purse or travel case.

10. Big needles = Big warm snuggly blankets!

We're also digging these modern takes on a vintage classic — motel style key fobs! Fully customizable with any wording you choose, wouldn't these make a fun way to dress up keys for house guests, include on a rental or pair with duplicate keys for a housewarming gift?

We'd love to know — what are some of your favorite Etsy finds right now?

*This post includes affiliate links
Discover More:

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Summer's Close in Nags Head

Last week we skipped town, driving down to the Outer Banks to spend a few days with family at the beach in honor of savoring these last few days of summer. A quick getaway turned out to be just what we needed and today we're rounding up a few of our favorite snaps if you care to see.

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Before & After: DIY Antique Pallet Coffee Table

If you follow us on Instagram or Facebook you may already know we took advantage of the three day Memorial Day weekend to tackle a project we've had on the list for quite some time — a tiered coffee table:

We love not only the function of larger table surface and tiered storage, but are pleased with how the rustic industrial vibe turned out.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Wedding Memories & A Third Anniversary

Three weeks ago today, Tim and I celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary. I took the day off from work and we spent the day together pretty low key with a couple fun stops including Pearl's Cupcake Shoppe and dinner (aka 2 artichoke moussakas) at Stella's.